Ensuring student safety
At our school, student safety is critical. As we have a number of students with food allergies, this site is intended to inform families about anaphylaxis, as well as share school processes and procedures for the safety of students with food allergies.
What is Anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis (anna - fill - axis) is a serious allergic reaction. It can be life-threatening. Anaphylaxis can result from food, insect stings, medicine, latex, or extreme exercise. The most common food allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, seafood, egg and milk products.
Symptoms of anaphylactic shock tend to develop quickly however sometimes the initial reaction is delayed or mild. Symptoms may include any combination of the following: patient becomes uneasy, has a feeling of doom, is easily upset, red in the face, develop a rapid heartbeat, prickling and itchiness in the skin, swelling, throbbing in the ears, sneezing, coughing abdominal cramps, vomiting, diarrhea and most commonly difficulty breathing. Shock may follow, causing the patient to become cold, clammy and faint. They should receive medical attention immediately.
If you have any allergy concerns, be sure to bring them up with your doctor and follow up with a referral to an allergist if necessary.
This link includes additional information on anaphylaxis from Anaphalyxis Canada.